Don't Bite Your Tongue -- that is what today's guest says! "Silence does not build intimacy." Today Denise and Ellen interview Dr. Ruth Nemzoff, the author of the book "Don't Bite Your Tongue: How to Foster Rewarding Relationships with your Adult Family."
Dr. Nemzoff tells us that as her children became adults she kept hearing the old adage - "bite your tongue, loosen your purse strings and wear beige." This was not going to work for her and she questioned the entire premise.
She claims it is better not to bite your tongue. Bringing up important topics builds intimacy, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it. And she gives us the scoop.
We discuss how to feel confident raising issues of importance, as well as saying "good-bye" to our fantasies and "hello" to reality.
We also talk about short and long visits with our adult kids -- how to handle it, how long is too long and more! Perfect for the holidays!
We love what she says about letting go -- but you will have to listen to find out!
She's a breath of fresh air, a brilliant woman that has walked the walk who provides us with a pathway to follow.
Some things we talk about:
- Learning the tools to keep talking - so they will listen
- Figuring out our relevance as parents to adult children - no longer in charge
- How to feel confident raising issues of importance
- We cannot be close to our children if we don't communicate the things that are important
- Letting go is not the solution!
- Goodbye to fantasy and hello to reality - let go of your dreams
There is so much more.......we hope you listen and enjoy.
Thanks so much to Connie Gorant Fisher - our audio engineer!
Support us P L E A S E!
Buy us a coffee: LINK HERE
Buy a mug: LINK HERE
Follow up on our social media platforms
And remember - sometimes you might just have to BITE YOUR TONGUE!
Comments & Upvotes